Let's face it- my financial status is at an all time low. So with my 2010 #1 goal in tact: turning adversity into prosperity, I will be making homemade gifts well into 2011.
Cookie Jar with Paisley Cookies
My cookie jar concept arrived when I found an adorable jar for $2.49. I knew I needed the perfect birthday present for a friend with a sweet tooth & a fantastic eye, so I snagged it! P.S. she loves paisley...
So paisley cookies it is!
Next, I ran to Joann Fabrics for some decorating ideas & hopefully some cheap finds! This is what I found:
Small polka-dot ribbon - 25 cents
Larger blueish/cyan colored ribbon - 2.99 (she loves this color)
Set of 10 Gift Tags - 1.00 (yes, I found that adorable pink tag in a set for a buck)
If you have the ingredients in your home to make sugar cookies and royal icing, this adorable gift will cost you about 7 dollars!!!
If you do not have the ingredients purchase the following:
Food coloring - 2.99
A roll of Pillsbury sugar cookies - 3.99
Wilton brand cookie icing (in white) - 4.99
This project will now cost you about 19 dollars!!!
- Sometimes, time is money. Choosing to purchase cookie dough rather than bake cookies from scratch is absolutely acceptable. Pillsbury sugar cookies are delicious!
- Making royal icing from scratch is s-i-m-p-l-e & comes out much better than store bought icing. It requires confectioners sugar & egg whites.
- Food coloring is cheap & a little goes a long way.
- Always hand write your message.
- Cookie cutters not required. Print a stencil off the internet, place it on top of the flattened cookie dough and cut around it.